[MV] Quick Microphone Question

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Thu May 24 08:50:54 PDT 2007

Dave:

You will ALWAYS need to use a USB adapter with a microphone unless
you amplify the microphone's signal in some way before you plug it
into your Mac. The reason for this is because Macintosh computers
have LINE IN sound input ports, not MIC IN. LINE IN expects an
amplified signal.

Macintosh computers have not been able to accept a Microphone
straight in since the original Bondi Blue iMac. Older (much older)
Macs had a unique "PlainTalk" sound input jack. They still couldn't
use a normal microphone input, but if you had a special microphone
with an elongated jack (that could reach the small power supply
attached to the input jack) you wouldn't need an external amplifier
(although you still needed to use a special microphone with the right
type of elongated mini jack).

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.