[MV] Possible partial solution?

Chuck Rogers thechuck at mac.com
Sun Aug 31 10:59:13 PDT 2008

All:

For those of you who don't know me, I worked for MacSpeech for the
best part of the past decade before being laid off when they
restructured earlier this year. Before that, I worked at Apple in
their developer relations department. While I would have to agree with
most of what Arnie proposes, I can tell you that no developer working
on software this complex can give any sort of commitment to a
guaranteed (or even suggested, for that matter) timeline.

Making software is not like building a house, where you know what
materials you will need and the time it will take to build it in
advance. There might be several ways to solve a problem, and sometimes
there may be only one. You are always dependent on the resources given
to you in the operating system, and if the resources you need don't
exist, you have to build them yourself. When you build resources
yourself, you run the risk of those resources becoming non-functional
when the operating system is changed by its owner.

In short, getting something like this to work involves a lot of work
and a lot of trial an error in order to discover which one of any
number of methods offer the least amount of problems, since it is very
rare in software development to find a path that has no problems
whatsoever.

The fact that they don't communicate is a reflection of their current
corporate policy, which focuses resources inward on getting updates to
their users absolutely as fast as possible. I can't say I agree with
that policy, but I do know that no information from them does not mean
they aren't hard at work.

Chuck Rogers