[MV] Trying to buy MacSpeech Dictate but no seems to be at home??

Erica Mackenzie macsongbird at mac.com
Fri Feb 1 21:53:59 PST 2008

At 12:20 PM, 2/2/08 or thereabouts, Chuck Rogers spake thus:

>Erica (and everyone else):
>
>Don't feel bad about not being a Founder. When we made the offer, we
>were very specific that we may never produce a product (in which case
>all everyone would have received was a lovely T-shirt). MacSpeech has
>had a long history of "barely making it," and were it not for the
>kindness of others and the perseverance of its employees and customers
>through some very dark times, it would have gone away just like so
>many other software companies have in the last 10 years.
>
>It is easy to say "shoulda, woulda, coulda" with the benefit of
>hindsight. Placing a bet up front requires faith and a willingness to
>take a risk. For instance - I really wish I would have bought Apple
>stock when it was at $11 per share.
>
>While Founders may get a slight advantage, I'd like to think that -
>current problems notwithstanding - we provide exemplary treatment for
>all our customers. We certainly try to do our best.

I know myself well enough not to consider using hindsight as an aide de
memoire. I'm not mourning a loss of some 'advantage' (which I didn't
know there was anyway). I don't get back anything from the money I pay
regularly to Greenpeace, The Wilderness Society, World Vision etc.
either; I pay the money because I believe in what the recipients are
doing with it, and it would have been the same with you if I'd known
about the Founder scheme. I wouldn't have been certain of getting a
usable product, and as it happened I've paid a fair bit of money anyway
and not got a usable product. But I kept paying the money just the same,
because I wanted to support MacSpeech and because I kept hoping that the
next version would work for me ... but I was never sure. And now we have
Dictate, which I'm very optimistic about.

Best,

Erica M.N. Mackenzie
Sunshine Coast, QLD,
AUSTRALIA