[MV] MacSpeech Dictate 1.5.1 is out

Joseph Senecal JSenecal at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 17:25:50 PDT 2009

I'm up to version 1.5.2 now. Because I started having issues with my
hands, I'm now using dictation more than ever. Fortunately, MacSpeech
Dictate is now more capable than ever.

I can't say whether it is more or less accurate than the previous
versions. I'm just not that sensitive to dictation accuracy. In
addition, I routinely use dictation software in ways was never
intended (at the expense of dictation accuracy). For example, about
half the time I'm entering commands into Terminal, I am now dictating
them instead of typing them. I'm doing this even though training does
not work in the Terminal window due to the limitations of Terminal.

For me, the biggest thing that Version 1.5 added is the vocabulary
window. In the past, there were some words that Dictate would never
learn, because they are not pronounced as they are spelled. Now with
the vocabulary editor, I can enter these words would separate entries
for how the word is typed and how the word sounds, then intensely
train the word for even better recognition. As a result, the proper
names that were never recognized in the past are now recognized with
high accuracy.

Another benefit of vocabulary editor is that you can use it to add
punctuation variants. Simply by selecting entries for whether or not
there is a space before or after the word, and how the capitalization
of the next word is affected, you can go find your own punctuation.
This allows me to use MacSpeech Dictate for more than just e-mail, I
can (and often do) use Dictate to write program code. Doing so is
somewhat problematic because I am not using well behaved toward
processor programs, but again, this is not something that MacSpeech
Dictate was ever intended to do.

Although I am not using MacSpeech Dictate all the time, I am using it
on a daily basis. The first thing I do now when I arrived at the
office is plug in my laptop, including the microphone headset cable.
I'm also making fairly extensive use of MacSpeech Dictate's command
capabilities, although those are not new in version 1.5.

My overall impression of MacSpeech Dictate 1.5 is indispensable. While
your mileage may vary, I find MacSpeech Dictate to be a very helpful
tool in composing text of any kind. I have been using dictation on the
Macintosh for a very long time now. At one time or the other I have
used every dictation product ever released for the Macintosh, and used
each one extensively. Each product has had its strengths and
weaknesses. Although Dictate doesn't yet have all the functionality of
iListen, it is by far the easiest and most productive dictation
program I have ever used.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, or if it will help
in your decision. I am not what one would call a typical user of
dictation software :-) By the way, this message was composed entirely
by voice without touching either keyboard or mouse using MacSpeech
Dictate.

Joseph Senecal