[MV] USB hubs

Ricky Buchanan ricky at notdoneliving.net
Sun Jul 5 00:55:59 PDT 2009

On 22/06/2009, at 11:44 AM, David Morrison wrote:
> I recall reading somewhere a few years ago that some USB hubs are
> not satisfactory for USB audio devices like microphones. It appears
> that some printers and other devices are equally sensitive to
> certain USB hubs.

It may be true, but I have never come across any hub that I recall
giving me problems. I think one important thing is not to put high
bandwidth devices together on a hub - eg your USB microphone sends a
lot of data back, so best not to pair it with a scanner or another
device that sends a lot of data back. Something like a keyboard or
mouse uses only a little data, and a printer uses lots but only going
out *from* the computer so it shouldn't get "in the way" of any
microphone data.

Also, if you have any trouble with devices plugged into a hub make
sure your hub has enough power. There are powered hubs (which plug
into a wall) and unpowered hubs (which don't). Unpowered hubs
sometimes cause trouble because there may not be enough power for
what's plugged into them - depends on how much current is drawn by the
devices plugged in.

In other words: Try any decent quality hub, I wouldn't recommend the
absolute cheapest or a second hand one. And get one you can plug into
the wall if necessary. Other than that, should be fine!D

Cheers,
Ricky
--
Ricky Buchanan * ricky at notdoneliving.net * http://notdoneliving.net/