[MV] Dragon Dictate 2.0 Experiences

DealTek dealtek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 11:56:06 PDT 2010

On Sep 23, 2010, at 7:38 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:

> I was under the impression that the letter transpositions were due to abbreviation apps like Text Expander, Typinator, TypeIt4Me and the like.  Are you running any of those?
>
> Valerie

Hi Valerie,

Yes I do have quickeys -  and I have not done thorough testing but basically I have turned quickeys off  and sometimes the problem still persists. I will do further testing and get back to you.  so for the problem consistently happens in FileMaker even after I turn off the spellchecker but I will keep testing more.

 Have you upgraded to version 2.0 yet?

After quite a bit of work getting things up and running–I am very impressed as of day three...

MacSpeech Dragon Dictate 2.0 experiences–Day three

Regarding the previous poster's painful issues with Dragon Dictate - I feel your pain. I also had some issues trying to get up and running with version 2.0. Personally I never went to NUANCE - but dealt with macspeech.com

My personal history goes all the way back to the IBM via voice application, which is actually still up and running on one of my older computers! Way back, I purchased iListen which never worked as well as IBM via voice, and then purchased the first version of dictate. A few days ago I purchased Dictate 2.0.

Luckily–when I talked to tech support on the first day - I got through to a good tech person rather quickly. He basically said that I could install 2.0 and then import my profile from 1.3. I had many text macro commands that were important, so this is the method I chose.

The installation happened easily–and I chose to import the previous profile, and the training only took 5 or 6 min.!

The only thing I have really looked at is direct dictation so far. After the training the basic dictation was very impressive at least 90% or better in only just 5 min. training.

Problems: a great many of my imported text macro commands did not work. I tried re-creating a few and fooling with them–but basically they were not working - very disappointing.

Day 2: after waiting on hold for over one hour for tech support–I hung up, frustrated. Later in the day I tried again, and a new tech support guy came on after about 25 min. I voice my frustrations of waiting–and then got some assistance regarding my issues.

Short story: he stated that there were some kinds of known problems regarding importing older user profiles, so he suggested exporting my commands from the old profile–than making a brand-new profile–then importing the commands into the brand-new profile.

I did his suggestions and things started working great after that! I had to make some changes to my text macro commands - and fool around with some stuff - but basically everything on day three is working great - and I am very happy!!!

ISSUES :

1 - first of all–I have only worked with direct dictation for my basic purposes–so I do not know how the rest of the program functions.

2 - Big KNOWN BUGS with spellcheckers in apps! If you dictate into basic applications such as Dragon Notepad or text edit - the program works great. However, if you dictate into an application that uses spellcheckers or also incorporates macro makers such as quickeys, it falls apart with this giant bug: at the end of a phrase the last two characters of the word will often randomly be reversed due to some incompatibility with spell checkers. EX : spellcheckesr - go to the stoer - things like thsi ....

Of course this is a total drag in case you want to work inside those applications, but I imagine you could either turn the spell checker off but that is a pain because often the preferences hard to get to–and in my case even when I turn things off for example FileMaker, it still had the problem. I hope they will address this issue soon.

There are other quirky issues, but enough said for now.

All in all, if you can manage to get up and running - and get the bugs worked out - and it fits your basic dictation needs–Dragon Dictate is fantastic!

--
Thanks,
Dave - DealTek
dealtek at gmail.com