[MV] Dragon Dictate

David L. Olson olson199 at umn.edu
Fri Apr 15 07:27:49 PDT 2011

Dragon Dictate uses the same speech engine as the windows version, and it is
much better than the Phillips engine. After the initial 5 minute training
the recognition is incredibly accurate. As the program learns your voice and
from your corrections, the accuracy improves. Eventually you blame errors on
your slurred speech, not the program. But how well it works for you depends
on your speech and how clearly you enunciate. The training text suggests you
try to speak like a newscaster on TV or radio, people who speak that clearly
are going to get highly accurate dictation. Anything less will affect your
accuracy, and your perception of the program. While the program does learn
from your corrections, the real learning is by the user. You have to speak
clearly, at a natural pace, and you don't have to pause between words, that
would reduce accuracy because the engine is looking at context to determine
the right word choice. If you are not getting accurate results, then I
suspect the problem is not with the program. It is with the user or the
microphone.

And I use an xTags wireless microphone. Not rated the highest in accuracy,
but very convenient to wear around your neck or clip to your shirt, and
avoid the cord.

David L. Olson