[MV] Dragon Dictate - is it worth it?

David Cee davidcee59 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 22:09:37 PST 2014

If you are using Mavericks I suggest you try the built in dictation
software & see if it meets your needs. There are two way you can use it.
Either online or download it to your computer.

I have used both Dragon Dictate & the Apple software. DD is nicer &
trainable, however it cost a bunch. Apple's software is free.

I think the built in speech software may have started with Lion or Mountain
Lion.

How much are they asking for Dictate v3?

David Cee

On Friday, December 6, 2013, David Morrison <davidmorrisonann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> This list has been quiet for  while but maybe this will liven it up a
> bit....
>
> A wrist problem I had back in 1998 has just flared up again. Back then,
> one of the solutions was to use voice recognition software. I used IBM's
> Via Voice fairly successfully, and various versions of what eventually
> became MacSpeech Dictate. I never got that comfortable with MacSpeech
> Dictate because of its reliance in dictating into its own text box, and the
> clumsiness of the method to correct its recognition of what you said.
>
> Dragon have just sent me an e-mail for Dragon Thursday where they are
> offering a really good deal on Dictate v3.
>
> I am wondering whether it has improved enough to make it worth trying
> again. I would love to hear about your experiences.
>
> Also, I see they now have a Bluetooth microphone. Does this work well, or
> would I be better using a USB microphone, specifically a Parrot from last
> time I used Dictate? Is the Bluetooth headset comfortable to wear?
>
> Oh, and one more question - The offer requires shipping it from the US.
> Does this mean I get the US English version, or does it include all
> versions in the one package?
>
> Cheers
>
> David

David