[PB] Re: Apple Remote + Front Row

at leX zifnab at mac.com
Tue Nov 15 17:17:45 PST 2005

If you check out the tech spec's of the new iMac carefully you will
see that nowhere does it specify an IR port.
In fact if you did not know that the remote was IR you would not even
know that the IR port existed on the new iMac.
So Apple do not say it is there or if it even uses  any standards for
IR ports.
As far as I can tell from the web you can not use it for anything
other than the remote.

If any PB users also have the new iMac can you let us know if this
port is addressable for anything else?
Or is it solely for the remote?

Alex

On 15 Nov 2005, at 04:12, Lists wrote:

On Nov 13, 2005, at 3:00 PM, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> I've just stumbled across the thread. It's a shame that Apple
> didn't do it this way.
>
> Make the software general and build the remote capability into the
> Nano. Then ever mac user would buy a Nano to operate front row.
> Missed opportunity.

Perhaps Apple just isn't as short-sighted as some.  They can always
do that later

New technology built into a new iMacs will sell new iMacs.

New technology built into a new Nano will sell new Nanos.

I suspect they'd rather sell iMacs than Nanos, and Nanos were already
so hot they couldn't keep them on the shelves.  Adding remote
capability to the Nano would have added to the bulk and cost.

So sell the new technology built into new iMacs today, sell iMacs to
early adopters.

In a year or two, add remote capabilities to Nano (or whatever is new
at the time... personally I think the Shuffle would make a great
remote, it just needs one more setting on the back :-) and get
another bite at the, well, apple, for folks who didn't go for new
iMacs but who might go for a new iPod.

Just a thought.

TjL