[PB] Dimmed screen

Pete Zimowski petez at mac.com
Mon Feb 20 17:37:10 PST 2006

>> The screen on my 12" Powerbook G4 seems
>> to have become permanently dimmed. I've
>> tried various System Preferences, including
>> of course "Monitors," but to no avail.

My 15" PB G4's screen permanently dimmed awhile back.  Actually, it
didn't go black, just was very dim.  By using the F1/F2 screen
brightness keys I was able to push the screen brightness up high
enough to see what was on it for a few seconds, maybe even click on
something, and then the screen would go very dim.  If I clicked the
F1 key to take the brightness back down to zero and then the F2 key
to bring it back up, I could get back to dimly seeing what I was
doing for a few seconds.

This problem started with a screen that would flicker occasionally
before it went dim for good.  I was, however, able to connect the
AlBook to an external monitor, and it worked fine,

I sent it to Apple (via AppleCare).  I told them about the problem on
a Monday afternoon.  Tuesday afternoon the free shipping box was on
my doorstep.  Wednesday afternoon I dropped it at DHL.  It shipped
Thursday morning.  On Friday it was repaired.  It reappeared in my
doorstep the following Tuesday.

They replaced the inverter that controls the backlight, which was the
problem.

Works like a champ since.  Overall a good experience.  Lost no data,
everything was the same.

Pete