[PB] top case a bit loose on Alu machine after being reassembled

MiB digital.discuss at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 06:30:19 PST 2011

On a Powerbook G4 1.67Mhz Alu on which I exchanged HD, I can't seem to
get the left side to be snug enough so that I can't very easily lift
it up a few mm with my fingernail, something that isn't the case on
the right side where everything seems as it should. All screws are in
place and properly tightened (not overly so).

I suppose the tongues in the top case or their holders could have been
bent slightly when I took the case of? I did take care not to do that,
but as I was pulling in the wrong direction – backwards – I suppose
it's possible. It's not visible at least. I did have a surprisingly
hard time getting the top case off. It seems straight up was the
proper direction, but I really had to use force to make that happen. I
did insert a screwdriverhead with a cloth over it and did wiggle a
little, but I was afraid I'd damage the side metal so I was perhaps
overly cautious.

I was thinking what the best way to make the fit snug again could be.
Any ideas and/or experiences of your own on similar problems?

/MB