[Ti] [OT] Re: [Ti] Panther Firewire debacle

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Thu Jan 1 12:24:16 PST 1970

On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 11:22  pm, Jesse Proudman wrote:

> I hear EVERYBODY complaining that the finder doesn't "work" but I've
> yet to see any one explain WHY it doesn't work.

Good point. My point is, if I could explain succinctly why it doesn't
work I'd probably be working as a useability expert (maybe there is
hope for me yet) and would have already sent this description  in an
email to Apple with my resumé attached.

here are some things I hate:

* I hate that the default, and only possible "snap to grid" gridsize is
so big as to make the icon views all unusable for me on my 15" Ti.
therefore I only ever use column view mode, which causes problems as
the computer is constantly reading disk to show me a preview of the
file etc.

* i hate that generally the computer doesn't seem to remember the "way
I like things". the "way I like things" is kinda loose, but I mean,
where things are, which options I had checked etc. down to the finest
detail.

*I don't like how the part of the icon in column view mode you need to
click on is the icon itself and NOT the text. You click the text to
rename files, but as my icons are small on my Ti screen i often click
the text by mistake and end up in "rename hell".

*A lot of things seem optimised for people with ACRES of screen real
estate. I am a Powerbook user. Where's my version of Finder please.

* The dock is a joke IMHO. I bought "LaunchBar" and have never turned
back . Apple should give the guy that wrote LaunchBar $$$$ and
integrate it into the OS.

*I wish when I started typing "a" ... "d" on the keyboard with Finder
in focus, it would move to files like "Adobe Photoshop 7" rather than
first going to the first file that begins with "a" and then jumping to
the first file that begins with "d".

hope that gives you an idea.

> I am thrilled with the finder in 10.3.  Sure, it's different than it
> used to be, but it is incredibly more convenient for me and my work
> flow.

Don't get me wrong, the Finder in 10.3 IS a step forward (they
multi-threaded it at last so less beach balls) , but it still doesn't
work for me like the Finder in Mac OS 7-9 did.

I often use Terminal.app and the bash shell for copying files (I'm
being serious by the way).

>  I'm able to navigate to precisely the correct location to find my
> files, and the actual navigation is much faster than anything before.
> I HATED the multi window setup of Mac OS 9 and I'm thrilled to have
> something as powerful as column view, especially when coupled with
> snap-open folders.

yes, I like this about Finder too, but I 'm more able to navigate in
Terminal.app or explorer.exe than in Finder.app.

Maybe it's just me.
--
Tarik