[Ti] Portable Printer for the Ti G4 PB

William R. McMunn mcmunn2 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 4 06:45:34 PST 2002

Hi, All,

Like Alan and Steve, I'm happy with my Canon BJC-85, It is slower
than the Epson 1280 that I use with a desktop Mac and the ink tanks
are so small that they need to be replaced frequently. But the
quality is excellent and it is very portable. This printer is about 2
inches thick by less than 4.5 x 12 inches, and it weighs less than 3
pounds with its included international power supply.

For photos, I get the best results with Kodak glossy paper and the
available Canon Photo cartridge and ink refulls (BCI-12) instead of
the supplied Color cartridge (BCI-11), but both are fine for spot
color. A BCI-10 black cartridge also comes with the printer. Canon
offers a scanner cartridge, but I have not tried it, so I cannot
report on how well it works.

Drivers for Mac and PC are available on Canon's web site. Ink refills
can be ordered from Canon if not available at your local store. The
BJC-85 has worked well for me under Mac OS 8.6 on my 2400c, and with
9.2.2 and Classic under OS X 10.1.2, 10.1.3, 10.1.4, 10.1.5, 10.2.1,
and 10.2.2 on the TiG4. I have used it at home and on the road in the
US and Europe (England, France, Italy, Poland).

Highly recommended.

Tim, haven't we had this conversation about Canon vs. HP portable
printers before?

Hope this helps Henry or anyone else looking for a reliable
road-worthy printer.

Bill McMunn

--------------------------------

Henry Kalir writes:

"Is anyone using a portable printer which can be taken on the road as a
companion to their Ti G4 PB?

"I'm thinking of somehting slim, which can fit in a carry-on bag along with
the Ti."

I have had tremendous good luck with the H-P DeskJet portable
printer; specifically, a DeskJet 310 that I used for years, in the
U.S. and on trips to Europe.  Indeed, when I bought my new Ti 800 at
the end of May, I also purchased a new H-P DeskJet 350CBi, which is a
color and B&W printer with great quality.  Only one problem: H-P
can't get their drivers right.

I call H-P and they talk me through a "fix," and then the same
problem occurs again.  I know others have had problems with H-P
drivers and OSX too.  I am running 10.1.5, and have not switched to
10.2 yet, so seemingly they should have remedied the problem by now.

I also print to an H-P LaserJet which is a dream, and there are no
driver problems with it.  But the H-P techies tell me that the
portable printers (e.g., the DeskJets) are apparently configured
differently.

Tim Naegele