[Ti] Ethernet cable (crossover?)

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Wed Dec 4 12:57:35 PST 2002

Every PowerMac G4 with Gigabit Ethernet (ie the gig-E model and newer),
every PowerBook G4, and every white iBook are capable of what is called
"Auto-MDIX," which means that they will automatically switch the pins
in Ethernet if they need to.  In other words, on any of these machines
(no matter what is on the other end; only one machine needs to support
it), you can use a patch cable in place of a crossover, and a crossover
in place of a patch.  Either way, you only need one cable to do
everything.  To directly answer your question, no crossover cable is
needed.

The iMac and eMac lines don't support this, though the dual-Ethernet
Airport Base Station does (but not the graphite).

Official info:

Roger Snyder <rogersnyder at pobox.com> writes:
>     Do all of the Ti automatically adjust for a non crossover Ethernet
> cable
> when connect computer to computer?
>
>     A friend has a first generation Ti that he want to connect to his
> 6112
> to copy stuff over. I gave him a transceiver for the 6112, but he
> needs the
> cable.
>
>     I'm not clear if the first generation Ti's needed a crossover or
> not.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html