Keyboard marks screen

Chris Cargen chris at hospitalityamerica.com
Thu Dec 5 05:08:41 PST 2002

>> I just use a blank sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper...  Cheap and it works
>
> I agree...and a few words about leather (which a true chamois is):
>
> Leather = animal skin.  The process of making skin soft and pliable
> requires harsh chemicals (hides in their "natural" state are rawhide,
> aka dog chew treats, drum heads, etc.).  Leather also contains oils,
> and most commercial leathers contain dyes.  All of these have a
> potential of leeching onto the plastic covering the screen as well as
> the paint and metal surrounding, especially when you add the element
> of heat.
>
> I have no evidence that this has actually happened, but as one who
> has actually tanned hides in the past, the risk seems extremely high.

I suppose leather could theoretically do that. But, in real world use for
nearly two years with the four Ti PowerBooks I've owned, the leather
keyboard cover I use has done no damage.  And it has functioned for an
important secondary use. I use it all the time on airplanes to place over
the seatbelt buckle so it doesn't scratch the bottom of the Ti case while I
have it open, because I do not like using the Ti on top of the pull down
airplane tray.

Chris Cargen
President/CEO
Hospitality America, Inc.
Brentwood, Tennessee 37027
web site: www.hospitalityamerica.com
e-mail: chris at hospitalityamerica.com

Operators of Hampton Inns, Hampton Inn & Suites, Homewood Suites By Hilton
and Wingate Inns throughout the Southeast.