[Ti] Portable Printer for the Ti G4 PB

William R. McMunn mcmunn2 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 5 19:01:53 PST 2002

(1) As already noted by Steve Wozniak, there IS a Mac OS X driver for
the Canon BJC-85, available as an OS X installation package from the
Canon web site. It was first issued in October 2001 and nothing new
has come out since then. As mentioned in my previous post, it has
worked for me in several versions of OS X 10.1 and now continues to
work well with Jaguar/10.2.1 and 10.2.2 on my TiG4 667/1 GB/combo
drive. A different driver is available for use with OS 9 and Classic,
and that driver also works well on my Powerbook under those operating
systems.

(2) I haven't heard from other BJC-85 users about problems from
inactivity, and my experience may not answer your question because I
have used the printer at least once a month since I got it last
March. I suppose that the BJC-85 is subject to all the ills of any
inkjet printer. The mechanism has a removable "cartridge" that
contains the nozzles and holds the ink tanks, which are separately
removable and available. In fact there are 3 styles of cartridge/ink
tank combinations: Black only (BJI-10), "Color" for spot color work
(BJI-11), and "Photo" (BJI-12). The printer comes with the Black and
Color cartridges, but the Photo cartridge must be bought separately.
The software includes a cartridge cleaning sequence that I have never
used, though I suppose eventually I should try it on suspicion. The
fact that the ink tanks are small means that they need to be replaced
frequently, which probably helps to keep them fresh. Air-tight
cartridge holders made of molded plastic are available (one comes
with the printer), and I use them to store the open cartridges that I
am not currently using. New cartridges and ink tanks come in sealed
wrappers. If all else fails, it would be easy (though more expensive)
to replace the entire cartridge assembly instead of just the ink
tanks. See the Canon web site for prices on all these items. With
these qualifications, I do not think that inactivity will present any
major problems.

(3) I know of no plans from Canon for a new model, but that does not
mean they are not planning one. My impression is that the BJC-85 and
BJC-55 portables are made for a small niche market and hence less
subject to frequent cosmetic marketing upgrades than desk model
printers. Canon does make another portable ink-jet called the BJC-55,
but the word I got from discussion lists before I made my decision
was that though smaller and lighter (and more expensive), the BJC-55
does not print as well as the BJC-85, and it is slower and requires
even more frequent ink changes. I have no experience with the BJC-55,
but my BJC-85, which I bought factory reconditioned at a significant
discount, has served me very well, both at home and on the road.

I hope this helps.

Bill McMunn