Problem with TiBook 400 solved

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Fri Dec 6 22:02:31 PST 2002

My G4/400 TiBook (that has seen alot of miles and use) recently has been
shutting itself off when the screen is moved.  When it first started
happening, I didn't think much of it - sometimes it would shut itself
off, instead of going to sleep, when I shut the lid.  Lately the problem
had been becoming more pronounced.  Today it started shutting itself off
if I just bumped the screen while the machine was being used.  I decided
there was definitely something wrong, so I took a closer look.

On the left corner directly under the screen hinge is a torx head screw
that was loose.  When the screen was being moved it would flex the case,
evidently shorting something out and causing the machine to shut down.
I torqued the screw so it felt the same tightness as the other screws on
the bottom of the case.  Problem was instantly solved.

Just passed on in case somebody else ever runs into that problem.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator