[P1] AppleCare

Robert Nicholson robert at elastica.com
Tue Dec 10 03:20:52 PST 2002

I own an 800 mhz Tibook and I'm still in my first year of warranty but I've
asked about Applecare and I may decide to buy it after May next year when my
initial year runs out. However, I do not understand why anybody would buy it
at time of purchase because. If you lose or break your machine due to misuse
you cannot transfer the applecare (at least that's what I've been told) to a
new computer. So why buy something that doesn't benefit you now but wait
until you are just about to run out of warranty like what you have chosen to
do.

In my case my machine in the last 3 months has had the following replaced.
top case, screen and is getting a new logic board this week. All quite
costly repairs out of warranty which thankfully I am not ;-)

Don't ask me why all of that needs replacing but note this was my first Mac
after own three PC laptops which required no previous servicing. It's pretty
scary to think how reliable this Ti is and what things will be like out of
warranty.

In my case I'm in Thailand and it looks like the heat here isn't compatible
with Tibooks but it really is ridiculous that a desk queen machine like mine
has required these three major overhauls and will cause me to think very
carefully about future Apple hardware purchases.

That said, I'm grateful that Apple repairs what it does under warranty
though. I remember when you paid $300 a year extra to Toshiba to get
T-Screen coverage. Firstly you got a 3 year warranty and then if you broke
the screen for any reason you'd get it replaced free with T-Screen coverage.
I don't know what Toshiba offers today but compared to what Apple offers
it's pretty amazing.

Also, somebody at my local Apple shop said that Applecare is recognised in
all parts of the world so it's no longer necessary to own Applecare from the
region you have the problem which again compared to world wide coverage from
IBM and Toshiba is also pretty lame.