[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Tue Dec 10 06:11:31 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 05:54 AM, Alex wrote:

> The figures below are for the second quarter of 2000 (OK I know it was
> some time ago I am getting more up to date figure is anyone is
> interested). Things have changed since then as HP and Compac have
> merged and lost market share by doing so, current info puts Apple as
> the third largest computer manufacturer behind Dell and HP/Compac. Not
> so small at all!!  In 2000 Apple had a bigger bite of the market than
> SONY or TOSHIBA! Just have a look below.

Ummm - I'm no market analyst so maybe it is legitimate to compare
market-share amongst individual companies like this, although I think
it is just as legitimate to group the Windows-based companies together
since they all share the same platform and since, to an average user,
moving between then software and user experience-wise would be nearly
transparent.  In the end it does come down to "PC or Mac" after all,
not "Dell, Gateway, IBM, Sony, Toshiba, Alienware, blah blah blah 50
more companies OR Mac".

And I hardly think trumpeting having a bigger share of the market
(especially in 2000) than Toshiba, who pretty much only makes laptops
these days, is something to be proud of.  I'd like to see figures from
last year comparing Apple to Sony, though - and especially this year
with Sony's big "we're a digital hub also" advertising push.