[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Tue Dec 10 06:43:49 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 09:30 AM, Alex wrote:
> If it were possible to separate the Macintosh from the MacOS then I
> think you might have a case to make, Maklar aside.  Apple is
> predominantly a hardware vendor the fact that the rest of the market
> of hardware vendors choose to use the same 3rd party OS makes no
> difference. If you are comparing you must compare like with like,
> otherwise the figures are useless. I am talking about hardware unit
> sales and comparing manufactures of that hardware within the market
> they compete. The fact that only Apple also creates its OS
> indisputable, it is also not relevant, therefor neither is the fact
> that the other manufactures use Windows.

Of course it is relevant.  Nobody buys a computer as simply a piece of
hardware - as if it were a couch or a coffee table.  The software IS
important, in fact the software is probably one of the most important
things - which seems to have been one of the things Apple has prided
themselves on since the beginning.  Sure, for years the Mac crowd got
to crow about using SCSI drives in their pricey machines but nowadays
everybody is using basically the same parts - my new G4 DP 1.25 is
about as plain vanilla as it comes as far as drives and memory and such.

Apple is selling the MacOS every time it sells a Macintosh just like
Dell and Gateway are selling Windows every time they sell a Dimension
or Profile.

Now if *none* of the computers being sold came with *any* software, I'd
almost be willing to buy your argument that the OS is irrelevant, but
even if you could wave a wand and make that true the reality is all the
rest of the Wintel/AMD world would run Windows and every other OS under
the sun *except* OS X and Apple hardware would run OS X and maybe some
PPC variants of Linux - so the software would still matter.

Maybe because Microsoft has won the OS war most people don't fully
consider the OS to be a factor in their computer purchase, but again
that is because it is such an ever-present thing - the OS and in many
cases the basic software bundles will be the same or similar whether
you go to Dell's website or Gateway's retail stores or pick up a
Compaq/HP at Circuit City or some no-name brand from your local
computer store.  Aside from the major numbers (CPU speed & memory) I
*know* your average computer buyer isn't thinking of the hardware when
it comes to a computer purchase - I have to help way too many of them
among friends and family to not know it.  Well, there is one other
thing they consider, almost above all else - price - and yes, I mean
initial price.  TCO isn't a concept that most people consider when
buying a computer - at least not most of them I know - both for
personal and business use.