[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Alex alex at fotomotion.net
Tue Dec 10 09:42:16 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 02:43  pm, Mike Stanleys' comments
included:

> Of course it is relevant.  Nobody buys a computer as simply a piece of
> hardware - as if it were a couch or a coffee table.  The software IS
> important, ...
>

> Now if *none* of the computers being sold came with *any* software,
> I'd almost be willing to buy your argument...

Hi Mike

Your point is taken and I agree that of course the OS is important to
the purchasing user, this however is not the subject of my initial
comment.

I am looking at market share of manufactures, not the factors that
drive the consumers buying decision, whatever they may be.

Sure you can compare a company to the entire market in which it trades
and that is a correct way of looking at a company's performance with
respect to the market as a whole. If however you wish to see the
company against its competitors it shows no useful information. Apple
does not directly compete with over 32% of the Wintel market in the
shape of 'white box' manufactures. Apple has never stacked high and
sold cheap. In order to show how competitive Apple is in the Market
place you also have to show how competitive its competitors are.
Without seeing how well other companies in the market place themselves,
then deciding how they are in competition, there is no basis for
comparison.

This is not a Wintel vs Mac Shoot out or an attempt to bolster the
worth of Apple or Mac's. I am just showing that Apple is one of the top
10 biggest computer manufactures with many companies who produce far
less computers per year. It would not matter what kind of computer they
sold Wintel, Mac or Wonder Widget PC.

Now do you get where I am coming from?

Alex

Mac'in Out