Fwd: [Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Tue Dec 10 12:04:55 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 07:19 PM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:47:35 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Ti] Apple's True Market Share!
> From: Mike Stanley <macguy at guarded-inn.com>
>

> On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 11:33 AM, Massimo Marino wrote:
>
>> I  beg to differ. Statistics focusing on Windows vs Mac OS are
>> inherently biased. For example I cannot find anywhere statistics on PC
>> bought with WIndows (any flavor) inside and then end up having the HD
>> wiped out right-away and a Linux version installed at the place.
>> I know many who did exactly that which amounts to buying a computer as
>> a simple piece of hardware. Not only, have you ever heard of the class
>> suit against M$?  from users who did exactly that and asked for being
>> reimbursed the add-on on the price because the PeeCee had Windows
>> pre-installed.
>
> Well, I'm not sure how many tens or hundreds of thousands of people you
> know, but I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of people who buy a
> PC from any vendor as a complete unit - meaning they're paying the
> outrageous premium for Windows, etc - who then format that drive, thus
> throwing away $100 or more and then install Linux on it is in the low
> single digit range, if it even makes it that far.

Well the Lab I work for runs in the thousands. I know more colleagues
running Linux on their PCs, especially on laptops, than any Windows
flavor. Statistics are collected on a sample. The sample I have access
to tells me - at least in my field - the percentage of Linux on general
PC is high, not just ~1%  And of course, the people I know they all do
have the knowledge to do that ;-) WIndows is obtained through a site
license so there is no guilt in trashing it.

Moreover, to Apple, a single 1% would mean a lot. An awful lot even for
Linux figures.

> Now have I taken an older Dell or Gateway at work and put Linux on it?
> Sure.  Have I cobbled together parts to make a Linux machine at home?
> Sure.  Do I know people who have assembled machines from brand new
> parts with the sole purpose of running Linux?  Yeah, a few.  But do I
> think there are the kind of hoards out there who a) have the knowledge
> and skill to setup their own Linux box and b) want to throw away money
> on pointless M$ licenses and do what you describe?  No way.

Nope, not hoards, that has never been my point but statistics are -
again - biased. Network access tells Apple presence on internet is
around 11% . Does that mean the 3% market share of Apple sales is
wrong? Nope, but a single statistic value truly has little value. They
only become meaningful with a big picture, Taken alone you could imply
anything. Apple market share eroded in the last couple of years: would
you conclude Apple sells less computers? Not at all: It actually sold
more computers than ever, its 3% share of this year is quite larger
than its 5% of 5 years ago in terms of absolute figures.

Also, what one should get from other posts: if you stick considering
Apple sales against all other possible hardware vendors, each time a
new brand, an IBM clone comes out, a PeeCrap whatever comes out (and
they do come out, lasting a year or two before disappearing/reappearing
elsewhere), the end result is that Apple shares is less than before.
Does it tell you Apple is terminally ill? No way!

Also, an Apple computer has an effective life (data taken from
thousands of users at the Lab) of roughly 4 years. A PC lasts on
average 2 years or less. Hence the same PC user buys more PCs in his
working life than the corresponding Mac person: does that mean PC is
better because it sells more? To me the figure tells me exactly the
contrary which might explain why with just 3% market share it has 11%
presence online. Would you say PC users do not know how to go on the
net? Or gave up fro too frequent crashes?

I hope you're getting my point on arguing on single statistical items.

>> Sony next year (2003) will offer consumers to buy its line of PC with
>> Linux pre-installed or no OS pre-installed with lower prices than the
>> same version with Windows pre-installed.
>> Someone in Redmont must be fuming.
>
> Sony's late to the game, then.  Other companies have done that for
> years, although most of the big ones have pulled back from the Linux
> pre-installed part of it.  Sony may be the first major company to make
> it *easy* for a normal consumer to buy an OS-less machine.  And they
> just might sell a few of them - but I doubt they'll sell boatloads of
> them.

That was the message. It is the first major company doing that, not
just a little IBM-clone trying to cut a biggest slice of the pie.

Massimo Marino
NERSC Division - HPC Department
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~marino
On leave at CERN, CH, EP Division, Atlas experiment
phone: (+41) 22 767-1288 fax: (+41) 22 767-8350 Office: 40-3-D16
alternate email: marino at slac.stanford.edu, marino at mail.cern.ch,
Massimo.Marino at cern.ch