[Ti] mandatory booting into os x

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Tue Dec 10 15:50:28 PST 2002

>Apple moving such a firm movement/commitment to a new platform/OS off by 6
>months because of 1 software vendor? Amazing!

I think that Quark is a great scapegoat for Apple to back off of
their Microsoftian arrogance that came out of the last MacWorld expo.
In addition to the January deadline, Apple also posted no-upgrade
pricing for future generations of OSX and a substantial cost
structure for the formerly free .mac service. None of these ideas is
necessarily bad in theory, but they were ill-conceived and
implemented badly, causing Apple to do a lot of behind the scenes
back-pedaling.

I believe Apple has been somewhat rudely reminded that they are a
niche player and they will never be able to be successful with that
"take it or leave it attitude".

Apple lost huge market share in publishing and graphics during the
mid-90s, going from near-100% to something in the 60% range; if those
shares ever fall below 50% in those markets, they will probably
plummet as quickly as Netscape did in the browser wars. This is not
sucking up to Quark, this is sucking up to one of Apple's core
markets. And as it should be, IMHO.

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com