Does not compute!

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Tue Dec 10 16:52:21 PST 2002

I am just wondering if I am the only one who finds Apple's decision to make
all Macs produced next year (after January or July or whenever) unable to
boot into OS 9 to be an arbitrary and even a malicious decision.

First, there is no logical reason to do this. We are being told that we are
no longer going to be allowed (no other word for it) to use OS 9 except in
shell (Classic) format. There are people out there (including me) that use
specialized applications that require a boot into OS 9 to work properly.
These apps require extensions that are called on when the apps are launched
which are only there when OS 9 is the startup system.

And there are other people who simply find OS 9 more pleasant and friendly
to use. Should they not be allowed to continue to exercise their freedom to
do so? Oh sure, they can stay with outdated machines to run their favorite
system, but why should they have to?

It is dictatorial. We are no longer being given the freedom to choose which
system we can use. Like Henry Ford when he designed the Model A. He said
that you could order it in any color you wanted as long as it was black.

It cuts down on flexibility. I would assume that a huge amount of code will
be erased from the ROMs so that the machine will crash if you try and start
up with a disk that has only OS 9 as a boot system. What's wrong with this
picture?

I have the feeling that this is Job's way of bullying his way to the
position where he can claim that Nextstep and Cocoa were the superior system
after all. I can almost hear him crowing "See what has become of your
precious Macintosh System now!"...then insert a torrent of evil laughter and
fade to black.

OK, maybe it is just me, but would someone please point out the logic of
such a move, because I for one can't detect even a shred of it.

jg