[Ti] Does not compute!

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Wed Dec 11 04:54:40 PST 2002

Well, no, what someone said was along the lines of "correct me if I'm
wrong..." - and the person is mostly wrong.

Just try buying a new 3 GHz P4 from Dell and then try to put DOS on it.
You'll run into any number of problems, most of which will be insurmountable
for the average users.  Simple things like:

No real support for the video card other than the default text mode.  You
won't be running any hi-res apps assuming you can even get DOS installed.
DOS won't even be able to see or format anywhere near the real capacity of
the huge hard drives you have nowadays.
Nothing but purely basic support for today's optical drives.  You won't be
watching DVD's in DOS, that's for sure.
Sound support?  Doubt it - maybe.

and I'm sure there would be more.

The thought that you can condemn Apple for ditching OS 9 by claiming to
"think" you can still install DOS on brand new PC (and actually DO much with
it) is pretty silly. We buy brand new machines and boot them off DOS
floppies for exactly one purpose - to image them over a network.

Yes, Apple may be delaying its ditching of OS 9 completely for a little
while, but making pointless comparisons like this one to the Wintel world
may sound good to a bunch of people who don't have any reason to know much
about the Wintel world (and I guess they could even pat themselves on the
back for it) but to someone who still has a foot firmly planted in that
world it just sounds funny.  :)