[Ti] mandatory booting into os x

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Dec 11 09:51:46 PST 2002

>Like InDesign - most of the
>newly carbonized Apps have a *little* way to go yet.

This is another valid point for backing off of the harsh January
deadline.  The design community, will also be left out in the cold if
this happens as most of the Adobe suite is poorly implemented on OSX.
While they hold promise, they still lack the stability of the old OS9
apps (even taking into account the limitations of OS9):

Illustrator 10 is sluggish, buggy and crashes frequently; yes, you do
not need to restart, but the time it takes for Illustrator to come
back to reality is longer than a reboot! When I have tight deadlines
I use Illustrator 8 in classic mode; it is more robust and stable!!

Photoshop runs well, but is a huge memory hog, and even with 512mb of
RAM I have to occasionally quit and restart to keep the memory paging
from getting out of control.

Although InDesign is not as sluggish as Illustrator, it is still slow
compared to even using Quark in classic mode.  The problem I have
found from running Quark in classic is that some extensions are
unreliable which makes it unstable. On a positive note, the beauty of
InDesign is that I have opened numerous, complex Quark4 files in
InDesign pretty flawlessly.

Back to the original point, the "product" of design companies and
designers is TIME. All of the above are issues of OSX that may be
minor to an individual, is huge to a company that has, say, 30
designers.  If OSX causes them to lose 10 minutes of productivity
over the course of a day, that is 300 minutes to the company. In
terms of billable time, at a conservative $75/hour that is $375 a day
in lost opportunity cost. Annualized that is $97,500!  That
opportunity cost may be nebulous in business that other industries,
but in advertising/design, we sell our time, so that is a very real
issue.

That productivity gap must be closed before Apple can "mandate" OSX,
or they will find they are forcing a reverse switch campaign.  Adobe
and Macromedia improving the performance of their OSX apps is
probably more important than Quark porting to OSX.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com