[Ti] Does not compute!

Greg Chapel gchapel at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 11 11:40:17 PST 2002

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Chris Olson
All you guys who keep advocating that OS X should be ported to x86 are
forgetting something, I think.  OS X would run like a POS on x86.

First, this statment is baseless. FreeBSD runs excellent on X86 as do many
flavors of UNIX. OS X runs on top of FreeBSD and does make use of higher end
hardware. Fortunately most PC systems out there have equal or better
supporting hardware than most mac systems. I am talking about busses,
graphics cards, highspeed ram, etc.

Second,I find it funny that many Mac users are critical of X86 hardware and
rant about how poorly they compare to Macs, in terms of aesthetics,
features, and design. Yet when someone suggests that Apple ought to release
an X86 version of OSX, the same users quicky site how Apple is doomed and
will never be able to sell hardware that competes with cheap X86 hardware.
How hypocritical is that?

Boy! it sure would be a big mistake if Apple were actually able to compete
head to head with Microsoft for once on the same hardware because we all
know that Apple would be wiped-out right. I mean who would ever buy an iMac,
iBook, or Ti PowerBook ever again when they could run right out and buy a
big beige box at Best Buy for less money.

And just think how hard it would be for all of those developers out there, I
mean Apple might make it as  difficult as re-running "make" and configuring
the build for X86 ranther than PPC, similar to the way linux apps can be
re-compiled. Of course that would be impossible and Apple could never pull
it off.

I shudder to think what the world would be like if Microsoft users actually
started switching to Apple in significant numbers and people had more choice
in hardware platforms and software. Oh please make the nightmare go away!!

Greg ;)