[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Thu Dec 12 09:39:07 PST 2002

On 12/12/02 11:32 AM, "Mark C. Langston" <mark at bitshift.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 11:28:59AM -0600, Loren Schooley wrote:

>>> This is a fact.  As I stated earlier, those who have tried the x86 port
>>> of Solaris are already familiar with the problems introduced by trying
>>> to run code that is optimised for one platform on another.
>>
>> Yeah, and Solaris dumped i386 support. If you want i386 Solaris, it stopped
>> at 8. Perhaps they figured out what Apple already knew.
>>

> Errr...no:
> http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/x86/earlyaccess/index.html

Oh, cool, Early Access?

The Solaris 9 x86 OE Customer Early Access software is:

*    not suitable for deployment on any production systems
*    not supported and supplied as-is; please read the license agreement for
additional restrictions and disclaimers for more information
*    only available for the x86 platform
*    is compatible with hardware configurations listed on the Hardware
Compatibility Page

Still, seems a bit different than previously released x86. The 8 ISO seemed
like it was a fully operational system. Was it not?