OSX -- Oh, my

Pahochman at aol.com Pahochman at aol.com
Thu Dec 12 12:44:10 PST 2002

Dear Smart People:

Now that I have been comfortably ensconced with my Ti G4 laptop (the older
500) and my G4 tower running 9.2, and now that I've spent virtually 20 years
straight on a Mac OS, I'm getting the picture that it's time to do the
Jaguar/10 thing soon.

HOWEVER: Since I do TV production, I have many applications and documents on
my hard drive created with things like Photoshop, Quark, Office, MS Explorer
for Mac, etc. all of which suit OS9 just fine.  And I'm networked within my
home office between my wife's computer and mine using nothing more than
AppleTalk.

The question: How do I seamlessly (ha ha) move to 10? Is it as simple (but as
expensive) as buying the upgrades for the software and then praying that it
works? Since I don't do a LICK of programming myself, the question is of the
pure end-user variety -- How screwed up will everything in my computer life
be if I simply go to 10? Will all of my existing applications (and documents
created with them!) be instantly inaccessible? Will OSX be able to
"back-read" stuff created in OS9 and then "update" them if I have new
OSX-ready software like Office, etc loaded on my hard drive?

Let me know, ye kind programmers and kernel wonks...

Best,

Paul Hochman
Today Show
Ski Test Director