[Ti] OSX -- Oh, my

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Thu Dec 12 13:10:43 PST 2002

>The question: How do I seamlessly (ha ha) move to 10? Is it as simple (but as
>expensive) as buying the upgrades for the software and then praying that it
>works? Since I don't do a LICK of programming myself, the question is of the
>pure end-user variety -- How screwed up will everything in my computer life
>be if I simply go to 10? Will all of my existing applications (and documents
>created with them!) be instantly inaccessible? Will OSX be able to
>"back-read" stuff created in OS9 and then "update" them if I have new
>OSX-ready software like Office, etc loaded on my hard drive?

Your files will be fine. There will be a learning curve, as OSX is
different from warm and fuzzy OS9.  I encourage you to learn those
differences rather than add extensions that make OSX act like OS9.
After a couple of weeks of swearing, I starting having "Ah ha"
moments in which I starting seeing the beauty of the new design
rather than the pain of having to let go of 15 years of habits...

Quark sort of works in Classic mode, but there are problems with some
extensions.  While it is an expensive upgrade process, I would
recommend biting the bullet if you can.  While the classic apps work,
there are problems and in fact, Classic itself is very processor
intensive.

With Jaguar and the plethora of 3rd party apps now available there is
no reason to ever use Terminal or command line unless you REALLY want
to.

Office will work, but Office X is really a nice suite of apps. There
was an OfficeX deal with new Macs, if it is still there, you could
get that and Jag as part of a New 1gig Ti ;-)

IE works, but dump it and download Chimera.  It is not even at v1.0
(v0.6) and it runs circles around IE; beautiful aqua interface, pure
Cocoa version of Mozilla, and once you try tabbed browsing you will
be hooked.

Look at the jump into OSX as the jump into a summer lake... the first
plunge may send shivers, but the overall experience will be quite
nice.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com