OS X on x86 (was: Apple's True Market Share!)

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Thu Dec 12 19:50:21 PST 2002

Mark C. Langston wrote:

> It came from your claim that Solaris on x86 isn't fully-functional.

Since your tone is obviously confrontational, and you are an advocate of
x86 and I am not, I'll attempt to put this thread more on-track for
appropriate content for this list.

It's my opinion that it would be a bad move for Apple to port OS X to
the x86 architecture.  I have my reasons for believing that, no matter
how "unprofessional" those reasons may be.

If for nothing else, it's because I'm typing this on an *Apple*
Powerbook powered by a G4 PowerPC processor instead of some generic,
run-of-the-mill Pentium III mobile wrapped up in a black plastic case,
or what have you.  So I'm different than the other 95% of the computing
world because I have an Apple computer, and Apple Computers are
generally associated with quality.  Would the TiBook still be the most
sought after notebook computer in the known universe if it was turned
into just "another x86 notebook computer"?  I highly doubt it.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator