[Ti] OS X on x86 (was: Apple's True Market Share!)

Ric Perrott ric at ricperrott.com
Thu Dec 12 20:36:17 PST 2002

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 10:50  PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> Would the TiBook still be the most sought after notebook computer in
> the known universe if it was turned into just "another x86 notebook
> computer"?  I highly doubt it.

Well firstly, the Ti is obviously NOT the most sought after notebook
computer in the known universe or else it would be selling a lot more
than it is. I too am typing this on a Ti 550, and I love it. However,
it still stands to reason that the processor inside the Ti has ZERO
bearing on why it's a great laptop. It's a great laptop because it's
engineered beautifully and because it runs MacOS, that's it. The allure
of the TiBook has absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with what
processor it has inside excepting of course the fact that the processor
inside it allows it to run MacOS.

And even if the Ti did have a mobile P4 in it, it still wouldn't be
just "another x86 notebook computer" because it would have been
designed and engineered by Apple. It wouldn't be able to run Windows
without a PC compatible BIOS, which it most certainly would not have.

Is that why you like MacOS? Because it puts you in a 5% minority?
Funny, I like it because I think it's the best OS on the market, and
I'd use it if 100% of the world used it. I don't pick computing
platforms to be cool or appear "hipper than thou", I choose them to get
my work done and move on with my life.