[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Thu Dec 12 22:13:48 PST 2002

Chris Olson wrote:
> AMD's benchmark resources webpage - note the reference to Windows for
> the benchmarks.  How come they don't use linux or FreeBSD, which both
> have better tools than Windows for establishing processor performance data?:
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_863_1972,00.html

And then move to the server benchmarks, where FreeBSD or linux would
most definitely be a better choice to evaluate processor performance and
data thruput, but they're still using Windows.  Makes one wonder if the
processor design is a little "slanted" towards the Windows operating
systems.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_863_1968,00.html

Ziff-Davis, for one, has published benchmark results showing Windows
2000 Server beats x86 Linux and FreeBSD.  Can't find the link in my
bookmarks, but a google search should turn it up, if you're interested.
  If that's really true, then one could hypothesise that if x86 is
indeed not optimized for Windows, then Windows is the superior operating
system.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator