[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Thu Dec 12 22:56:27 PST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 12:43:09AM -0600, Chris Olson wrote:
> Mark C. Langston wrote:
>
> > Oh, yeah.  You mean the exact same sticker that is put on all the
> > notebooks and desktops.  I'm sure those circuit traces were all aligned
> > _just_so_ to ensure maximum Windows performance.
>
> Darn straight.  Try to put linux in the laptop that says that on it.
> That little sticker is no marketing gimmick, it's a warning label.

Been doing it for years.  With FreeBSD and OpenBSD too.  Let's see
here...within arm's reach:  A Vaio 505GX that has run both, as well
as a Libretto 50ct that's run both, and is currently running OpenBSD.
They both came with those stickers.  In fact, I think the Vaio came with
two.

I've also managed to run these OSes on Amigas and Mac II's.  I'm
supposed to gather what, from this exercise, exactly?

In fact, the last notebook I bought that had that sticker on it --
a Dell Inspiron 8000 -- ran Linux, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD extremely
well.  Much better than it ever ran Windows.  Even better, once I'd
actually recompiled the kernels and tuned the OSes for the fact
that they were running on notebooks, and for the uses I put the
OSes to.  And the Inspiron had two stickers as well:  Designed for
Windows NT, and Designed for Windows ME.  So you're telling me that
a single architecture, which you claim has been optimized for "Windows"
is now optimized for two wildly differing codebases (NT and ME)?
Perhaps Microsoft has managed to perfect time travel, and have in
fact been tricking us into buying hyperintelligent quantum computers
all these years, that know what you're trying to do, and only work
well when being used with Windows.

Speaking anecdotally, of course.  You see, you claim one thing, I claim
another.  That's the problem with anecdotal evidence.  However, you're
presenting your anecdotal evidence as though it bore the weight of
truth.  That demands supporting evidence, which you've yet to produce.
Your amusement value is running thin; you're approaching the point
where you're a petulant child, demanding that things be "just so",
for no reason other than that you so demand.  And that's just
plain irritating.

I've run into your brand of Linux bigotry, while being up in front
of crowds, such as those at LUGs or professional conferences.  You're
no better than the Windows bigots, or the Mac bigots -- your mind is
so closed, you're so wrapped up in this fantasy that you've woven for
yourself, you've become inured to any form of reason.

To paraphrase a certain pop cultural referent:  You are not your OS.
Get over it.

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org