[Ti] That OS9, OSX, Quark issue

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Fri Dec 13 14:09:39 PST 2002

>I came across this off of the ThinkSecret pages (often rumour-based like any
>of the 'Insider' pages). Does anyone know if this took place? This is just
>the kind of thing that will ram that $1100 InDesign right to the top of my
>Xmas wishlist.

InDesign is only $699 and there are bundle and competitive upgrade
deals if you search for them.

>"Several of the Quark clients called were attendees of a conference held by
>Quark in New York last month, in which CEO Fred Ebrahimi disparaged the Mac
>platform and struck back at critics of Quark's sluggish OS X pace. "The Mac
>platform is shrinking" and users dissatisfied with Quark's Mac efforts
>should "switch to something else," he told the assembled guests, most of
>whom were shocked by his comments and left the session early. When news of
>Ebrahimi's remarks leaked, Quark's public relations department addressed the
>subject in an email, but the company didn't dispute that the quotes were
>true, and in fact supported Ebrahimi's claim that fewer publishers are
>purchasing Macs. "With respect to Mac OS, our market data indicates that
>fewer publishers are purchasing Macs," said Quark communications manager
>Glen Turpin, "and more of our Mac-using customers are considering switching
>to Windows." These recent calls to attendees may be some form of damage
>control."

Fred Ebrahimi has a long history of publicly insulting his customers,
so none of those comments would surprise me. That is also reflected
in Quark's rude customer support system. I am sure they Mac market in
publishing is diminishing for them as InDesign is becoming the
publishing standard while Fred continues to lambast his employees,
customers and vendors.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com