[Ti] x86 vs ppc

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Sat Dec 14 03:38:47 PST 2002

Kevin,

your experience is far from being rare. A single benchmark figure might
show easily one platform better than the other but on real working
cases I also had my personal experiences of my TiBook toasting a P4 1
something GHz hands down. My TiBook is a 667MHz model and both machines
sported 512 MB of memory.

Our friendly test (with a colleague on XP) was transfering a CD to
iTunes while playing it (he was using hiw own tool, forgot which one:
just ugly to even look at it, plus he could not play it during the
transfer!!), downloading a 300MB files, copying from AFS to local a
directory full of gif files (some 500MB) and running the test program
for ROOT, a data analysis program.

I finished all that, able to switch from one program to the other with
the system was still responsive, playing the iTunes CD tracks while
importing them (his PC was silent). The XP was practically bogged down
and finished the tasks much later.

On one SINGLE task at the time the XP might be faster but on 'real'
work situation (multi-tasks) when I hear PC users venting out their
FAST Pentium I just chuckle :-)

Another example? Together, from Togethersoft. This is a Java CASE tool.
I work (with other applications running as well) on it without any
problem. It brings the resources down on the same PC to the point my
colleague simple can't use it effectively: too frustrating.

Oh yes, the PC has more fps on Quake than my TiBook but who cares?

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 05:09 PM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:08:48 -0800
> Subject: [Ti] x86 vs. ppc
> From: coccolithophorid at earthlink.net