[Ti] TiBook 800 Questions

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sun Dec 15 11:01:56 PST 2002

jabberjaw at joeken.com writes:
> 1) Stuck Pixels -- I've got a couple of stuck pixels which are mildly
> distracting when I'm doing graphic editing and are generally bothersome
> on a brand-refurbished machine.  Does anyone have any recommendations
> on how to handle that issue?

There are two possibilities.  The first is that you have at least 5 or
7 (I forget which) stuck pixels, in which case the display is
considered faulty and can be replaced under warranty.  If you don't
have that many, then the pixel anomalies are considered within reason
by Apple and most other companies; getting a perfect LCD every time
would about double the cost of already expensive LCDs.  Faced with
this, many people have had success by massaging the pixel, often for
several minutes or spread over a period of a week or so, until it works
again.  You may want to try rubbing it from both the front and the back
of the screen.

> 2) Microphone -- I haven't been very successful finding information on
> the built in microphone and programs which can make use of it.  Since
> I'm in graduate school right now, the ability to record lectures as
> they're being given would be a godsend.

Any application that can record from a sound input can use the built-in
microphone.  You just need to tell the computer which sound input to
use (Built-in Mic versus built-in audio in or USB audio in or CD or
zoomed video, etc.) via the Sound pane in System Preferences.
So, you just have to find an application that suits your needs for
recording.  I'd suggest going to www.versiontracker.com and doing a
search there for audio apps.

> 3) Find By Content -- I'm having trouble understanding how the
> find-by-content feature of OSX 10.2 works.  If this question would be
> more appropriate on another list, it'd be handy to know which one, but
> I have documents which I would love to be able to search for content
> from the finder, and any advice anyone has would be appreciated.

Find By Content requires a rather lengthy indexing process.  Go into
the Finder Preferences first to select only the languages that you want
to be able to search for (it's the button at the bottom of the Finder
Prefs window), then get info on any folders that you want indexed.
Click on the disclosure triangle next to Content Index, and click Index
Now; that folder and all subfolders will get indexed.  You probably
want to do this right before you go to bed, because it will take a
while, at least if you run it on something like your whole hard drive.
Find By Content will not search all files, but it will search many; I
believe it will do text, RTF, PDF, documents from a word processor, and
other things clearly recognizable as text.  It won't index MP3s or
pictures or any other data by trying to interpret the file contents as
text.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html