Daniel Borge <dani@borgepalace.com>

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Mon Dec 16 00:13:31 PST 2002

Don;t know exactly, will ask, but to support your perception my brother
(on XP) moved to an AMD board (probably the same as yours: this 1200
number rings a bell) and he says it has been a quantum leap forward wrt
to the old Intel chip (a ~1GHz)

The con with PCs (although PC users in general say it is a pro) is that
you cannot count on *a* configuration which will work and perfectly
tuned with your OS. On paper same specs may gibe their users totally
different experiences.
I agree with you that a crap PC is by far more easier to be trapped
into than a crap Mac: a Mac is a Mac is a Mac. Like it or not you know
exactly what you get: no bad surprises.

Looks like your PC is giving you a taste of a Mac experience ;-)

--
Massimo Marino
NERSC Division - HPC Department
Massimo.Marino at cern.ch