[Ti] Can the touchpad button emulate a right-click?

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Tue Dec 17 16:54:37 PST 2002

Henrik,

Are you running OSX 10.2.2?

I would say that you should maybe consider a fresh OSX install if you think
there is a problem.

With the mouse plugged in;
The Mouse tab and the Trackpad tab (there are two tabs) have the same
options (slider bars) for Tracking Speed and Double-Click speed.. The bottom
half of the Trackpad panel also has the Radio Buttons for Clicking,
Dragging, DragLock, Ignore Trackpad while typing, Ignore trackpad when mouse
is present.

With NO MOUSE plugged in;
The 'Mouse' pref panel you click on comes up - with Trackpad options ONLY.
There are no tabs - since you have no extra devices plugged in. This panel
looks like most other pref panels.

Here is one to check out - do you have an external monitor plugged into your
Ti? If you do not, check out the Displays panel - how many tabs do you see?
I have three (Display - Arrangement - Color) - because I am plugged into an
external..  If you are NOT plugged into another monitor the Arrangement tab
will not be there.

I do not know where anyone got the idea of configuring the Trackpad for
right-click purposes, but I think we've already shared ALL of the options
available.

If you have all the radio boxes in the Trackpad panel checked - you

1. Tap once to select something (simple click)
2. Tap twice and your file/folder will open (double-click).
3. Tap twice - holding down on the second tap will grab an item (click and
hold).
4. Control - Tap twice - holding down on the second tap will bring up the
'right click' menu.

I do not mean to sound condescending at all - just trying to help. I do not
know if you know these functions.

If I (we :-) can help in any other way shape or form - we're here for ya.

On 12/17/02 11:08 PM, "Henrik Tidefelt" <henti634 at student.liu.se> wrote:

> Well, at least that sheds some light on part of the problem.  I too get the
> two tabs (one for the mouse and one for the trackpad) when an external mouse
> is plugged in.  But... the trackpad tab has now exactly the same contents as
> the original mouse pane (without tabs) had.
>
> In other words:  The correct preference pane is _not_ characterized by having
> tabs or not.  What we really need is the preference pane where the trackpad
> tab has the right contents.
>
> Unless, of course, there is only once preference pane that is hardware
> sensitive, and our hardware doesn't support configurable clicks.  But how odd
> wouldn't this be?  Would it even be technically possible, assuming that Apple
> are not taking active mesaures to limit our freedom?
>
> I repeat my request:  Please, if anyone out there has the "right" preference
> pane, couldn't you somehow make it available to all of us that are in need?
> That would be greatly appreciated.  I would happily make it http-accessible
> from my school account if that would solve any problem.
>

> Henrik
>
>> Do you have an external mouse plugged into your Ti book?  If you don't, you
>> won't see the mouse preferences tab, just the trackpad. At least that's how
>> it works on my (latest) jaguar system prefs. When I plug in my external
>> mouse, it shows up....
>>

>> To NOT answer the original question, I don't have any idea how to designate
>> the trackpad as a right click, but it's a great idea and I hope someone
>> figures it out!

Bill Reburn