Airport Card Install: Problems and Error Codes

Todd Ingram taingram at cinci.rr.com
Tue Dec 17 22:31:35 PST 2002

I'm having no luck getting my wife's G4Ti/400 to recognize a new airport
card (no card was previously installed).  All software and firmware is up to
date and I followed the card install procedure with the care of a heart
surgeon.  After restarting in 10.2.2 (as usual), I get the "hardware is not
detected" message when trying to open the setup assistant.  Airport is not
listed as an option in either network preferences or network port
configurations.  I re-checked the card and antenna install and they are
seated correctly, re-installed airport software...still no luck.  (also
verified permissions, PRAM, etc.).

Okay, let's see what happens booting to 9.2.2.  Try to open airport and get
"unexpected network error (-3278) while communicating with airport driver.

Next, booting from the original apple hardware test CD and running the
diagnostic results in Airport error code "airp/2/6".  The hardware test
shows the card as "present" (no mac ID i.e. 00:00:00.....)

I also ran disk first aid and techtool with no luck.  I then decided to
check the card in my ibook.  Swapped cards and fired up the ibook...instant
access...the card is functional.

I've installed 3 cards in G4Ti's and ibooks before and never encountered
this issue.  I've searched email archives and knowledge base and while I've
seen "similar" posts, nothing mentioned has worked for me.

If anyone has information on the error codes I mentioned or suggestions
(preferably a solution) to this dilemma I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Todd
taingram at cinci.rr.com