New CD Encoding?

bee4 bee4 at Mac.com
Wed Dec 18 19:42:55 PST 2002

Excuse me if this has already been addressed,
but I do not think it has. Using a Ti500 and this
question is really not Ti related, however I've
seen DVD Region free drives addressed here about
a dozen times so here goes. I am in Japan, yesterday
I purcased an encoded sony CD to extract for
my own personal use. through trial and error using
Toast and iTunes
I was able to finally extract 80 per cent of the songs
into AIFF files. It was difficult and time consuming.
It crashed OS 9 over 3 times. Trying it in Jaguar was
a little better it only crashed the related programs a
few times. Question is, does anyone know of any
programs on the net to grab these songs, copy or extract
would be nice, for personal use only of course. If there
is nothing I can certainly say that I have no intentions
of purchasing any encoded CD's from any of these
crazy companies as this will only further their red ink.
This in no way will ever stop piracy. If I could do 80
per cent extraction the first time, some pirate can
certainly do better than I. When the CD is inserted into
the drive it shows up on the desktop as two CD's one is
full of encoding things and one folder actually reads as
a player. The other CD when opened contains AIFF files,
at least that's what they are under Jaguar. The CD I had
contained 5 AIFF files, I extracted all but the second and
shortest
file it hung on 1.5 MB every time and produced the spinning
colored beach ball and finally just messing everything up
requiring a relaunch of almost everything running at the time.
Any help appreciated, are these things out in the states
as well? This encoding is not the type where by you mark
the outer edge of the CD with a marker or tape, that will
not work with this encoding.