[Ti] utility for defragmenting my internal HD?

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Fri Dec 20 11:01:54 PST 2002

I don't understand what you and Loren are talking about.

I see you using the word 'should' - making me think this is a guess?
If anyone has opened up DiskWarrior or Norton on an OSX disk - they will see
that after only an initial installation of OSX and some applications that
Hard Drive fragmentation is quite apparent. Stuff gets thrown form here to
there.

After some months of use - the fragmentation is just as light or severe as
OS9 had - all depends on usage.

Or at least that is what is happening on my end.. Are these applications
incorrectly reporting these results? I can see OSX being able to handle
whatever is thrown at it.. But there are absolute performance differences on
machines (HD's) that have been severely fragmented.

On 12/20/02 10:29 AM, "Chris Olson" <chris at astcomm.net> wrote:

> F. Mortes wrote:
>> Hi, folks!
>>
>> I wonder what utilities you can recommend for defragmenting my
>> Powerbook's internal hard disk. I'm running 10.1.5 and I'm on a tight
>> budget.
>
> File system fragmentation should not be a problem with OS X or other
> unix type systems.  Especially with a desktop box.  If you are running a
> server, then there is a unix defrag utility that you can run on an
> unmounted file system, or you can do it with a backup and restore of the
> file system data.  Although BSD uses UFS (and OS X's file system is a
> little different), I have several linux servers (ext2 file system) that
> have been running for three years+ without being rebooted or disks
> defragged, with no problems whatsoever.

Bill Reburn