[Ti] utility for defragmenting my internal HAD?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Fri Dec 20 16:59:24 PST 2002

Brett V. Gaspers wrote:
> Um...hate to say the emperor is wearing no clothes here, but isn't the
> filesystem used by OSX AND OS9 HFS+? And this is the same filesystem
> we've been using for several years?

HFS+ was orginated with MacOS 8.6.  However, the filesystem drivers in
Darwin are considerably different than traditional MacOS.  Many unix or
unix-type systems are able to handle a great variety of filesystems, in
addition to their native filesystem type, and this includes Darwin.
Linux is probably the most versatile, and can read and write to 33
different filesystem types, including FAT, NTFS, UFS, and even most
recently, HFS+ with an alpha quality HFS+ filesystem driver being
developed at SourceForge.

So to answer your question, yes.  The filesystems between OS 9 and OS X
are the same, but OS X is using the Darwin drivers.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator