[Ti] MY NEW SCREEN!

Robert Nicholson robert at elastica.com
Sat Dec 21 06:31:03 PST 2002

Please keep the list updated with progress on this one. I suspect Apple
will not address this.

Can you describe how you opened up your screen?

Did you use one hand on the middle of the screen or two one on each
side to open it after
it was unlatched?

Tibook screens really do require some care when opening the screen and
you have to be able to feel when the clutch is stuck on new screens
otherwise you'll put a lot of stress on the hinges.

The way I  open my screen is that I unlatch it then I place my thumb
and forefinger on the screen at the front on either side and lift in
one continuous motion. If you feel your machine lifting off the top of
the surface it's resting on then you're hinges are too stiff and you
need to take extra care when opening the screen. I do not put any
pressure on the bottom of the machine. If the hinges is too stiff I
close it and try again. If I push the bottom to try and force it open I
will more than likely break something.

You have to feel to see if there's an unusual amount of resistence to
the screen opening. If there is I usually stop close it and start
again. On new models the screen will be a little stiff to open but it
gets a little loser later providing you haven't snapped it off by then.
Apple really do need to address the design of the hinges as a lot of
people seem to have problems.