Wireless Internet with power points?

Robert Nicholson robert at elastica.com
Sun Dec 22 11:42:01 PST 2002

So, my experience has been that in Starbucks in the USA (Seattle) you
can jack in power and nobody says a word. Especially if you're ordering
drinks etc. Trying doing that in Thailand and you get a completely
different attitude. (They are worried about the power charge here. Not
worried so much as see it as something that should require payment
before use.) ... So it's not all that Laptop friendly if you don't
carry spare batteries with you. I'm curious to know what it's like in
the UK. A british friend of mine once told me he was accused of
"stealing electricity" when he plugged in his laptop in a Cafe around
Manchester. I'd expect similar treatment in other parts of the country
too.

Here in Bangkok, Thailand they offer free wireless internet in Siam
Discovery as a promotion from Copperwired (Applecenter) and another
company. Anyway, whilst the service is pretty slow it works but the
management at that complex strictly forbid customers plugging into the
vastly available power sockets used when vacumming the floors.