[Ti] Powermate

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Sun Dec 22 21:08:57 PST 2002

On 12/22/02 10:37 PM, "Bill White" <billwhite at mac.com> wrote:

>>> What can you do with it?
>>>
>> http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/index.html
>
> Yes, but what about real world uses? I'm an AppleScripter and to advertise
> AppleScript I could send you to http://www.apple.com/applescript
>
> And, from that page I could say: "AppleScript provides shortcuts for complex
> tasks..."
>
> Or I could tell you how AppleScript does real work for me on a daily basis.
>
> I'd like to see some personalized uses for a PowerMate. I want one really
> badly, but can't justify it on manufacturer hype alone.
>
> Bill

I can't describe it any better than the web site can. Just read about it and
then use your own imagination.

You have this aesthetically pleasing knob and can program specific keyboard
strokes to each application, or globally. For instance, when Entourage is
open, I just walk by and tap on the machined knob and my mail is checked.

When Explorer is open I use it as a third mouse button. Much easier on your
hand than a mouse wheel. Of course volume and mute without getting on the
keyboard. You can program each program for the button custom. iTunes, Final
Cut, iMovie, etc.

In Explorer you push and turn the knob and it flips through your web pages.
It looks very slick and matches the Ti. I got mine for $35 on ebaY. A cool
but quite useful gizmotic devise. These are only a couple examples of the
dozens of tweaks you can add for your own specs and needs.