FW: TiBook 1GHz/SuperDrive US Mac OS ROM file?

Nessie nessie at mac.com
Thu Dec 26 13:53:44 PST 2002

I hope this is not an illegal request (in that case I'd like to apologize
and ask the list moms to remove this message, of course!):

My father just bought one of the new TiBooks with the SuperDrive. He was so
glad to get this fine machine in central Europe! That's why he didn't
realize that the machine is only equipped with the German Mac OS 9 version.
Once he realized that he went back to the dealer who sold him a US version
of Mac OS 9. So from the legal point of view he now should have a working
TiBook in the US English version.

But after having this version installed the machine shows some strange
misbehaviors, for example the internal screen can only display 256 colors
and there is even a second monitor displayed by the Mac OS, to which the
cursor can even be moved to, although none is connected. The machine can
access other Macs using AppleTalk, but won't be visible to others in the
network (file -sharing is enabled and AppleTalk and TCP/IP use the correct
network port).

These issues didn't show up when running the German version of the system
software. Using the OS ROM file from the German installation wouldn't help
either. I am pretty sure that this malfunctioning is not caused by any other
software because the machine did not get any other software installed yet!
And I have performed the usual trouble-shooting measures like zapping the
PRAM 3 times, booting without extensions, etc.

The only difference seems to be that there is no Mac OS ROM file for this
machine included in the original installer discs for the US version of Mac
OS 9. I solved a similar problem with PB 1400 some time ago in France by
copying the ROM file from an US machine.

But having moved from France to Austria I do not have access to a vast array
of Macs like I did then. That's why I was hoping you could help me out here:
- Do you think I am right with my assumptions about the issues caused by the
wrong ROM file? - And if so, can I ask somebody with a similar US machine
(TiBook 1GHz, Superdrive) to sent me the "Mac OS ROM" in the top level of
the system folder?

Thanks for any hint and support,

/roland young