[Ti] FW: TiBook 1GHz/SuperDrive US Mac OS ROM file?

alan kastner wallah at gol.com
Fri Dec 27 06:40:12 PST 2002

Roland,

One problem you're going to face is that I *highly* doubt any OS 9 CDs available on the market are new enough to fully support the 1GHz TiBook. In other words, it sounds as though your father purchased a US version of OS 9 that predates the 1GHz TiBook. As such, I don't think simply copying the Mac OS ROM file from another machine will solve all the quirks. The drivers for the ATI video card, the SuperDrive as well as other system extensions differ from the standard (previous) OS 9.2.2 installers, so you'll need the English OS 9.2.2 off the installer DVD that ships with the 1GHz TiBook to have all the necessary files for full support.

As I'm sure you realize, the TiBook 1GHz with Superdrive sold in all markets around the world ships with Mac OSX as the default boot system. OS X features multi-language support and can switch between German and French. So, if your father doesn't mind running OS X until you find a solution, he can run his TiBook in English using OS X that is included with the machine. That would be the safest way to go until you get your hands on an English version of the installer DVD for the 1GHz TiBook.

 alan