[Ti] FW: TiBook 1GHz/SuperDrive US Mac OS ROM file?

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 27 10:30:11 PST 2002

On 12/27/02 9:40, "alan kastner" <wallah at gol.com> wrote:

> Roland,
>
> One problem you're going to face is that I *highly* doubt any OS 9 CDs
> available on the market are new enough to fully support the 1GHz TiBook. In
> other words, it sounds as though your father purchased a US version of OS 9
> that predates the 1GHz TiBook. As such, I don't think simply copying the Mac
> OS ROM file from another machine will solve all the quirks. The drivers for
> the ATI video card, the SuperDrive as well as other system extensions differ
> from the standard (previous) OS 9.2.2 installers, so you'll need the English
> OS 9.2.2 off the installer DVD that ships with the 1GHz TiBook to have all the
> necessary files for full support.

This is correct. The 1 Gig model comes with installation/restore SW on a
DVD. This installs both OSX and OS 9 Classic.

> As I'm sure you realize, the TiBook 1GHz with Superdrive sold in all markets
> around the world ships with Mac OSX as the default boot system. OS X features
> multi-language support and can switch between German and French. So, if your
> father doesn't mind running OS X until you find a solution, he can run his
> TiBook in English using OS X that is included with the machine. That would be
> the safest way to go until you get your hands on an English version of the
> installer DVD for the 1GHz TiBook.

Here's my question: How did he come by this machine without the Install DVD?
And if the jag-off that "sold" him an English OS 9 CD why didn't he give him
the proper DVD in English? Any authorized Apple dealer foreign or domestic
should be able to provide you with SW at no charge - under warranty.

Jesse