[Ti] Changing format

~flipper flipper at macsrule.com
Mon Dec 30 10:15:14 PST 2002

Mark Swanson offered:

>I had a number of jpeg files archived on a firewire hard drive.  I
>recently had a catastrophic drive failure and when I finally got it
>back online (using Norton, Drive 10, Disk Warrior) nearly every jpeg
>file is now got a red icon and nothing will recognize their format.
>Not Quicktime (which they were coded in) nor Graphic Convertor.
>What happened?   When I check their information, they are still jpeg
>files and are the same sized files as before.   Is there a way to
>get them back?

Probably yes. Try selecting one of the files and hit Command+I. That
shows the Show Information window, then slect an application in the
button that says "Open With". Scroll through the choices that are
their, and click on "Other", if you don't see Graphic Converter.
After choosing GC, click the button in the Show Info that says
"Change All".

That's one way to do it. You can also use File Buddy to drag an
entire folder to a "New List" window, and then do a batch change of
the Creator code. The Creator for Graphic Converter is "GKON".

Or, if you have Super Get Info, it allows Creator and Type code mods
also, but no batch changing.

~flipper